Wednesday 13 April 2016

NaPoWriMo Day 12


The prompt from NaPoWriMo.net was: an index poem.

The idea is to make a poem using words found in either a real or imaginary book index.
I took a very small section of the index in Life Style by Dr Peter Marsh, an interesting book that I picked up in a library sale.
















I’m not sure if the following can be classified as a poem though – I suspect it’s just a piece of prose chopped into short lines. 
 

Alternative strategies for dealing with vulnerable kids

Statistics show
accidents involving adolescents
are more common
in urban areas
than in the countryside.

Although chances
of mishaps occurring at school and home
are the same everywhere,
teens hurt while involved in crime,
anti-social behaviour
(in streets and shopping malls)
and random acts of aggression,
are more likely to live in cities.

Our solution,
to move accident-prone children
to safer places, such as farms,
has been opposed
by agribusinessmen
concerned at the effect this might have
on the local agriculture
and other environmental issues.

Their proposal
is that secure compounds
should be built in cities
to protect at-risk adolescents,
and those already in the country
should be closely monitored
by animal behaviour therapists.

We await your decision with interest.

2 comments:

Patsy said...

Excellent.

I'm very tempted to try this approach for a short story.

Linda D said...

I'm thinking the same thing, Patsy.
I'm finding this 'write a poem a day' challenge interesting but very challenging! I don't think I'll ever be able to call myself a poet, but some of the words and images thrown up by the prompts suggested on NaPoWriMo.net could well be used in stories.