Saturday 2 April 2016

NaPoWriMo Day 1


I had no idea what to write for the first day of the NaPoWriMo challenge. Luckily, they post an optional prompt for each day on their website so I had a look at that. Today’s prompt was to write a LUNE.

It’s a three line poem with
                              five syllables in the first line
                              three in the second
                              and five in the last line

or you can use five, three and five whole words instead of syllables.

I tried the word version first:

                             Write a lune they said
                             so I did 
                             but is it a poem?

(My answer was ‘No!’)

After much pondering and editing I came up with this one counting the syllables:

                             In soft lunar light
                             courting loons
                             sing sweet lunes of love.

And then I tried both forms using the same idea:

          (words)   April the artist splashes pink
                                and white blossom
                                all over her brightest greens.

      (syllables)   April paints pink and
                                white blossom
                                on her brightest green.

Not happy with any of them, but it’s a start!

 

5 comments:

Nicola said...

It's a great start, Linda. I had no idea what a Lune was. Thank you for enlightening me :) Have a lovely weekend.

Linda D said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linda D said...

I'd never heard of a Lune either, Nicola. I did wonder if it was an April Fool's joke at first!

Susan A Eames said...

Nothing wrong with some of those, Linda. Good luck with your naprorimo challenge (crumbs, did I get that right?). I'm doing the A-Z Blogging Challenge this month with a theme of Wildlife Encounters. (What we put ourselves through...!)

Wendy's Writing said...

I've never heard of a Lune either - your attempts sound pretty good to me.