Sunday 5 July 2015

Tricks - and a treat!

http://alfiedog.com/fiction/stories/humour-story-downloads/tricks-of-the-trade-linda-daunter/

I was, of course, very pleased when my short story Tricks of the Trade was accepted for publication as an Alfie Dog Fiction ebook. But the thing that had me jigging with joy was this comment about the story from the person behind Alfie Dog, Rosemary Kind:

'I didn't work out the ending in advance which always tells me it's a good twist.'

For a writer, the trickiest thing about a twist in the tale story is that you know what the twist is going to be right from the start. It’s very difficult – if not impossible – to judge if a reader will guess the ending too soon, or will find the twist too contrived.

With Alfie Dog now offering over 1,700 short stories, I thought Rosemary must know every trick in the book when it comes to twisty tales, so I was very surprised that I’d managed to surprise her!

If you want to try surprising the Alfie Dog editors, and win £200 plus the opportunity to have a story collection published, you’ve got until 30th September to enter their 2015 short story competition. Click here for full details.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on getting the story accepted, Linda. Rosemary is quite picky and doesn't accept any old story. It has to be special. I'll download that as one of my competiton entries.

Linda D said...

Thanks Susan. Hope it keeps you guessing too. Good Luck with the competition. I want to enter this year but I haven't come up with a good enough idea yet.

Susan A Eames said...

Congratulations on your story acceptance. I agree that satisfying twists can be tricky to achieve!

Linda D said...

Thanks, Susan!