Sunday 7 August 2016

A different view

I find the most frustrating thing about writing - apart from all the rejections - are those times when I know what I want to say, but can't find exactly the right words to say it. If I'm lucky, the answer will reveal itself after I've scribbled down and crossed out all the 'wrong' sentences  I can think of, but when I'm completely stuck the best thing is to give up and go and do something else.

Walking is good, so is pottering about in the garden, doing a bit of housework, or anything else that gives my conscious mind something to think about while my subconscious works on the writing problem.

Another trick I've discovered is to switch from writing to another art form. Believe me, after struggling to describe a scene in watercolour, painting it with words is a doddle!


             
 Do you have a favourite activity that helps with your writing?


6 comments:

Susan A Eames said...

Oh, it that your painting? Aren't you talented? I think it's always a good idea to do something different when you get stuck with the writing to let your sub-conscious get to work. Lots of things work for me... ironing, walking, swimming, gardening... But my sub-conscious has an annoying habit of coming up with a great idea just when I'm dropping off to sleep!

Susan at
Travel, Fiction and Photos

Linda D said...

Talented? Moi? Very kind of you to say so, Susan. I love painting but I'm still very much a novice at it. I think I'm getting better at trees and clouds, but that pony didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped!

Helen Yendall said...

Linda, I find wine helps...! No, only joking. Gardening is a good one, as my mind seems to 'free' itself and ideas can come. I know some people say walking, but as the only time I walk is when I walk the dog and that can be STRESSFUL (she pulls on the lead and off it, there's always the danger that she will run off after a pheasant or rabbit...!) that doesn't work for me. Neither does swimming, because I am too busy counting lengths to think about writing. Actually, when I'm in the shower I often get ideas and have to throw a towel around me and dash out, dripping, to write it down!

Julia Thorley said...

When lack of the right word threatens to interrupt my flow, I just type 'bla-bla' and keep going. Of course, it's a good idea to highlight this in bright pink so I don't forget to go back!

Linda D said...

No, Helen, you're only allowed wine after you've found the right words!
But yes, I've had those shower moments too. The best brainwaves usually come when I don't have pen or pencil within reach.

Julia, that's a trick I used when I did NaNoWriMo, only I forgot the highlighter!

Anonymous said...

I agree, you're talented, that picture is lovely. I knit, or go to the gym if I get lost for words, but I don't very often. It's laziness that's more my problem, but if I know I have to get on with it I will. Speaking of which...