Thursday, 31 March 2016

Keeping my promises

Way back last November, when I was too busy to take part in NaNoWriMo, I decided it might be interesting to try the NaPoWriMo (National Poetry Writing Month) challenge in April. After all, I didn’t have any other plans for that month …

But suddenly, it’s the last day of March and my diary is filled with ‘must do’s’.

A few days of April have already been set aside for promised visits to distant friends and family. Various appointments have been made for several other days – some for me, some for him. Saturday mornings will be spent at the art group. (That’s my playtime and I need it!)

My most important writing task is to crack on with producing more stories for my Alfie Dog Fiction collection, but I’m also hoping to steal a bit of writing time to polish up a couple of older stories and enter them in competitions that I’ve had my eye on.

Away from my writing desk, I’ll be itching to get out and attend to my neglected garden whenever the weather allows, and I’m also thinking about doing a bit of decorating indoors. Well, I’ve got as far as choosing the colours …

And then, of course, I’ll need to fit in the usual housework, shopping, cooking, phone calls, emails, the stack of books waiting to be read and the walks I know I should do every day but don’t always manage if it’s cold and wet …

So will I be able to write a poem every day in April? Probably not, but I’ve kept my promise to sign up anyway.

Oh, yes, and I’m also racing to finish my illustration course …

It was a good idea at the time!

Are you taking part in NaPoWriMo? If poetry isn’t your thing (I'm not sure if it’s mine) what about trying the A to Z blogging challenge which also takes place throughout April? It looks like fun and you can choose your own theme. Perhaps I’ll have a go at it next year – although I’m not promising!


No comments: